I am a Research Fellow at The Kinsey Institute and author of the new book Tell Me What You Want: The Science of Sexual Desire and How It Can Help You Improve Your Sex Life. I also run a popular blog entitled Sex and Psychology that is designed to present the science of sex, love, and relationships to the public in an engaging and accessible way.
To date, I have published more than 40 scholarly works, including a textbook entitled The Psychology of Human Sexuality, which is used in college classrooms around the world. My current program of research focuses on the topics of sexual fantasy, consensually non-monogamous relationships, and casual sex. My research has appeared in all of the leading journals on human sexuality, including the Journal of Sex Research, Archives of Sexual Behavior, and The Journal of Sexual Medicine.
My research has been featured prominently in numerous media outlets, including the Huffington Post, Psychology Today, Men’s Health, The Globe and Mail, and The Sunday Times. I have also appeared on several episodes of the television program Taboo on the National Geographic Channel and am a frequent guest on programs such as HuffPost Live and RadioMD. I perform freelance writing for major publications, including Playboy, VICE, and other media outlets.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Harman, J. J., & Lehmiller, J. J. (2014). A social psychology research experience (2nd edition). San Diego, CA: Cognella.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2018). Tell Me What You Want: The Science of Sexual Desire and How It Can Help You Improve Your Sex Life. Boston, MA: Da Capo.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2017). The psychology of human sexuality (2nd edition). Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Balzarini, R.N., Campbell, L., Holmes, B.M., Lehmiller, J.J., Harman, J.J., & Atkins, N. (2017). Perceptions of romantic partners in polyamorous relationships. PLoS ONE, 12(5): e0177841. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0177841
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2017). Controversial issues in human sexuality research: The state of the science. European Psychologist, 22, 1-4. doi:10.1027/1016-9040/a000286
- Lehmiller, J. J. & (2015). A comparison of sexual health history and outcomes among monogamous and consensually non-monogamous sexual partners. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 12, 2022-2028. doi:10.1111/jsm.12987
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2012). Perceived marginalization and its association with physical and psychological health. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 29, 451-469.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2010). Differences in relationship investments between gay and heterosexual men. Personal Relationships, 17, 81-96.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2009). Secret romantic relationships: Consequences for personal and relational well-being. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 1452-1466.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2008). Commitment in age-gap heterosexual romantic relationships: A test of evolutionary and socio-cultural predictions. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 32, 74-82.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2007). Perceived marginalization and the prediction of romantic relationship stability. Journal of Marriage and Family, 69, 1036-1049.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2006). Marginalized relationships: The impact of social disapproval on romantic relationship commitment. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 32, 40-51.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Ioerger, M. (2014). Social networking smartphone applications and sexual health outcomes among men who have sex with men. PLoS ONE, 9(1): e86603. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0086603
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Konkel, K. E. (2013). Commitment to the GLBT community: An investment model analysis of its antecedents and consequences. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 43(6), 1301-1312.
- Lehmiller, J. J., Law, A. T., & Tormala, T. T. (2010). The effect of self-affirmation on sexual prejudice. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46, 276-285.
- Lehmiller, J.J., Ley, D.J., & Savage, D. (2018). The psychology of gay men’s cuckolding fantasies. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 47, 999-1013. doi:10.1007/s10508-017-1096-0
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Schmitt, M. T. (2007). Group domination and inequality in context: Evidence for the unstable meanings of social dominance and authoritarianism. European Journal of Social Psychology, 37, 704-724.
- Lehmiller, J. J., VanderDrift, L. E., & Kelly, J. R. (2014). Sexual communication, satisfaction, and condom use behavior in friends with benefits and romantic partners. The Journal of Sex Research, 51, 74-85.
- Lehmiller, J. J., VanderDrift, L. E., & Kelly J. R. (2011). Sex differences in approaching friends with benefits relationships. The Journal of Sex Research, 48, 275-284.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Lehmiller, J. J., & Kelly J. R. (2012). Commitment in friends with benefits relationships: Implications for relational and safer sex outcomes. Personal Relationships, 19, 1-13.
- Counseling Applications of Social Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Human Sexuality
- Intergroup Relations and Processes
- Psychology of Sexual Orientation
- Research Methods
- Sexuality and Culture in the Netherlands
- Social Cognition
- Social Psychology
Justin J. Lehmiller
Bloomington, Indiana 47405